Monday 18 March 2013

Book Covers: Wind-Up Bird Chronicle


Here's the next book cover in my project to redesign each book I read this year. The third book is 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' by Haruki Murakami (also see '11.22.33' & 'The year of magical thinking'). While I'm a big fan of Murakami, having read and loved, 'Norwegian Wood', 'After Dark' & 'What I talk about when I talk about running', this wasn't as focused and there were lots of things that didn't add to the story, but within that there were some intriguing bits, especially the idea of spending 2 days down a well in the dark just to think....

Anyways here's the cover, I completed it when I'd only read half the book as I put it into The fox is black's recovered competition. I also love the winning entry by Sam Kittinger. I wanted my cover to have the feel of living in two worlds, an ordinary reality and an alternate, weird & crazy one which is what Toru Okada lives like in the book. The psychedelic swirl also contains elements of themes in the book such as cats eyes, legs, water and a black hole to signify the darkness at the bottom of the well and in the other reality he encounters.
Up next I'm reading 'The last werewolf' by Glen Duncan which has one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen and held, which was created by the fab Peter Mendelsund.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment